After having a great experience at Jungfraujoch, I still ( after more than a month of my visit) have a hang over of the same. Given a chance, I might visit the place again to have another experience. The whole journey to Jungfraujoch, the whole experience there and the concept of the place, technology , everything has left a strong mark in my mind. The experience there is unparalleled. I must say that this place is a must visit and enjoyed for atleast once in a lifetime. There were certain interesting facts about Jungfraujoch and are a must know for my readers I believe. So, here we go!
11 interesting facts about Jungfraujoch, Switzerland
- Jungfrau Railway has its own fire brigade on the Top of Europe
- Jungfrau Railway has generated electricity with trains travelling downhill since 1912
- It has its own hydroelectric power station
- the name Jungfrau comes from the former convent in Interlaken and its alp beneath the Jungfrau mountain
- every week a railway employee checks the 9.2 km long track between the Jungfraujoch and the Kleine Scheidegg on foot
- you can see Europe’s longest glacier (Aletsch Glacier, 22km) from the Jungfraujoch
- every year over 71 different nationalities visit Jungfraujoch
- average temperature on Jungfraujoch is -7.9° C (minus)
- the Jungfraujoch has the highest altitude post box in Switzerland, the highest altitude chocolate shop in Europe and the highest altitude watch shop in the world
- the Jungfraujoch – Tope of Europe is open every day
- a tennis, a football, a cricket, a boxing and a basket ball match as well as a 100 metres race have all been held on the Jungfraujoch
(Source of interesting facts- Jungfrau Railway Passport)
I was amazed to read these interesting facts about Jungfraujoch and now can relate to them.
Indeed the thought process, strategies and efforts have resulted in a great sightseeing destination, Jungfraujoch. Highly recommended.